StopForumSpam API integration

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
VERSION 1.0#

http://www.stopforumspam.com/ provides lists, provided by fellow forum admins, of the vile scum suckers that persist in spamming forums with their, often illegal, scams, exploits and other annoyances. We provide these lists so that other forum admins dont have to endure the never ending job of having to moderate, filter and delete their rubbish.

This plugin will check all join form submissions against this database using the provided API service. Email address, username, and IP address are checked before allowing the submission through.

The admin panel allows you to paste your StopForumSpam API key into your Security Settings, once you have done this a new option "Spam API" will be visible on the "manage members" page under the "blacklist" pull down. Once clicked, you will submit the spammers username, IP, and email address for future blockages.

Installation:
1) download the plugin
2) Upload the plugin via Admin > Plugins
3) Login into your Ftp and go to plugins/StopForumSpam-0.2/spambots
4) CHMOD 777 the /spambots/ directory **used to track spam attempts

Attachments

Daegaladh

Found a little bug.
Warning: file_put_contents(plugins/StopForumSpam/spambots/a@a.com.txt) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /x/sources/join.php(180) : eval()'d code on line38

This is because in join_process_form.php folder is named StopForumSpam instead of StopForumSpam-0.2

Edit: Still not working, page becomes blank after the spambots txt is written (tested with a@a.com to force detection as spambot). Works fine with valid emails.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers, will test this later today and will let you know the outcome

EDIT:: The blank page is expected behavour. The script exit when spammer = true
Code:
if($spambot == true){
        exit;
}
We dont want to point them out that they are spammer, a "broken script" result in higher chance that he aint come back and try with another mail

Will update the plugin with the new path

Daegaladh

I've just noticed it gives an error if you use an email that is already in the spambots folder, because it cannot be overwritten.

Daegaladh

I did it for testing, but if a real bot tries to register twice, will get that error instead of the blank page.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, now i understand the issue. What is the error you are getting? Ill have a look later then

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Not tested, but should just work fine, nothing changed in this plugin for a while

legendz

AcemanWolf
Anybody using this plugin on VL 1.0?

I don't understand 4) CHMOD 777 the /spambots/ directory **used to track spam attempts

I opened that folder and it's empty.

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
The directory, not files within. Chmodd the folder named spambots. So the plugin can create files to track spammers within there