Long Description + BBcode

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
VERSION 1.0#

This is a beta release, if you encounter any bugs reply below.

What this mod does:

Adds a "long description" field to join form and edit pages to allow your members to spice up their profile page.

Why a seperate field? why not just add this to the existing description?

Good question ;) by adding a second field it allows us to display the short description on the ranking pages without all the BBcode being parsed. That would look ugly and slow things down. This way only the stats (profile) pages are "enhanced" with the bbcode.

What options are available via the BBCode?

At this time the editor supports the following tags:
bold, Italic, Underline, hyperlinks, and images

Installation:

Upload the zip file via the plugin manager as always.

Then you need to edit 3 templates:

Open
stats.html

and place {$long_description} where you want the long description to show.

Next, Open edit_form.html

find:

HTML:
  <input name="submit" type="submit" value="{$lng->edit_header}" />
replace with:

HTML:
<input name="submit" type="submit" value="{$lng->edit_header}" onclick="wswgEditor.doCheck();" />

and do the same change in join_form.html

find:

HTML:
<input name="submit" type="submit" value="{$lng->join_header}" onclick="onSubmitButton();" />
Replace with:
HTML:
<input name="submit" type="submit" value="{$lng->join_header}" onclick="onSubmitButton();  wswgEditor.doCheck();" />

Thats it! Enjoy

Attachments

leonor

License Active
hm i think that is wrong ...

and when i was updating in "join_form.html" there was a " ; " missing.

<input name="submit" type="submit" value="{$lng->join_header}" onclick="onSubmitButton();" />

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like your missing the images folder, it should be in LongDescription/images/

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
no problem, it could have been an issue with the plugin manager, sometimes nested folders dont get handled nice with PHP's ZIP module.

leonor

License Active
i think this plugin need the possibility to edit the Description in ACP --> Edit Member

Anna

Just curious: How short is "short" and how can I change it? Want it even shorter I think.....

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
Short is how short you like, its your site :)
If you use vl 0.8, edit the ranking files and find {$description}
adding a length parameter will enable you to display however short you like {$description, length=111}
You could also use the admin setting for that, but we ask to use the template tag method, since the admin setting will be removed in 1-2 versions

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I will try and get this up for you today, if not over the weekend for sure.

stickmenz

I just moved my website to a new server and the only thing that doesn't work is this plugin.

It's enabled and everything, but it doesn't save anything when you edit it.

Any idea what the problem could be ? The previous server was a windows server and the new one runs debian, could that be related ?
The database field still exist and contain stuff from before the move. Is the plugin using different SQL info stored somewhere else than the main setting file ?

Thanks

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
hmm it wouldn't matter what type of server you are on, perhaps you have mod_security installed and it doesnt like the BBcode? you will need to check your error log for clues.

If you moved the same files and database from your old server it should all work exactly the same.

stickmenz

I've just noticed my logs are spammed with:
mysql_close(): 6 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /var/www/theminelist/sources/sql/mysql.php on line 137

I didn't modify anything on this file. :/

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
strange, you are on version 0.9? try disabling all plugins to see if you can isolate what is causing the problem.