Limitless Voting

KaitoX

Granted I am still reading a lot of the forums and documentation on one computer while working with the site on the other computer but there is one problem I have found so far and I wonder as to a solution.

It has come to my attention that there are no restrictions at all on voting. One user/player can sit there and vote for their preferred item on the list over and over driving their favorite to the top as much as they want. So much so they it can just be done by macro without needing a person there. I imagine I could drop a captcha of some sort in that might deter the macro issue but more specifically I am worried about the same IP/Computer being allowed to vote infinitely. Are there any fixes for this I may have missed thus far?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
A single user from a single IP address can only vote once in 24 hours. The IP log is cleared on the new_day() function.

KaitoX

This does seem to be the truth now. I end up reinstalling. I had several problems going especially after trying to put a plugin in (contact form) which resulted in some errors related to missing language files. After the reinstall everything works fine. Since I cannot replicate the problem I believe this counts as an anomalous event.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
very odd, there does seem to be an elusive bug with the plugin upload and zip extraction process, I have seen 2 previous reports of the language folder not being created when a new plugin is uploaded. I suspect it has something to do with the server configuration because we have been unable to duplicate the issue in any of our available environments or client sites. But we will keep our eyes peeled, glad you got things sorted out :)

KaitoX

Well in that case I will say that I use JustHost as my hosting service if that helps narrow down any server conflicts. The problem seems to be outside of just the plugins folder because then I got the error displays of lacking language files first thing I did was to uninstall/delete the plugin through the plugin interface and that did not correct the language errors. Upon reinstalling and uninstalling the plugin once more and double checking my edits that is when I elected to try the full reinstall which fixed the plugin's problem and the voting issue I was having too.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
interesting, we have just overhauled the language system on 0.7 so its very possible a global language issue could have occured on installation. We tested thoroughly but its a major change and requires the user to import their language so there is room for error. Without seeing what the actual error is its impossible to tell, I'll keep my eyes open going forward.

Thanks very much for the feedback!