Emails not sending...

fstltna

I have several emails in the queue which don't seem to be sending, the emails have been in the queue for hours. Any ideas or do I need a cronjob to be set up?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
if the mails are stuck in the queue, this is a server config issue, you do not need any cron job. Your server admin or hosting support should be able to easily help you identify why your mail is stuck in the queue.

Visiolist uses the PHP mail() function by default.

fstltna

I'm the server admin, and other emails from the site are working ok. I have visiolist using my SMTP server with username & password. Is there a log I can look at to track down the transactions?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
that log would be the exim mail log, this is not a VL function.

If messages are sitting in your queue, that is a server config issue, not a VL issue. You can examine the queue to figure out why they are not sending, could be incorrect port, or auth info.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
you can use any mail server. I use exim on my mail servers, many of our users use gmail.

fstltna

Ok, I have tried using both my own server and a commercial server and I still have the same issue. Mails are staying in the queue. How often does it retry them? I could give you the SMTP account info if you wanted to look into it...

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
These settings have nothing to do with VL, if mail is sitting in the queue that is outside the scope of VisioList which sends the command only once, and its expected the server will send mail immediately.

How the mail queue is handled is a server configuration, not a VL setting. Look at your mail queue log and see why the messages are not being sent, most likely you have a misconfiguration somewhere.

fstltna

I have tried both my own server and a paid commercial SMTP service and see the same issue. I could understand if my own server had issues, even though other apps are using it fine, but this commercial service doesn't make sense...

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
well since we know the mail is sitting in the queue, you really should be looking there for the answer.

VisioList has handed of the mail to your mail server which is not sending it for some reason.

fstltna

But you don't have any logging on the VL side? I'm going to look into the logs on my mail server, but it would be good if VL could tell me what happened when it tried to send...

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
no there is no logging on the VL side, logging is left up to the webserver and mail server since both of those already log all transactions.

fstltna

Ok, an update: some mails are working. The first "welcome" mail is going out, but the mail when I approve them is not going out but staying in the queue. So my SMTP servers must be configured properly...

fstltna

I see the addresses in the queue. I'm not seeing errors on the SMTP server. I will try setting it back to my local SMTP server and see if I can watch the message come in.