Implemented Captcha in vote page

Daegaladh

It would be useful to add an option in the config to use captcha in the voting page to avoid bots for voting.

Daegaladh

Yeah, but I mean this should be in the core since there are a lot of auto-voting scripts for Aardvark that still works on Visiolist and people are using them, specially on game toplists.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
That will never make it as a core feature, captcha in gateway is a terrible idea for in traffic. Several sites use it becuase they have no better way of handing cheaters, but there are far better ways of dealing with this problem then making all incoming traffic answer an annoying captcha.

Morus

www.votezone.eu , www.privateserversranking.com
Several sites use it becuase they have no better way of handing cheaters, but there are far better ways of dealing with this problem then making all incoming traffic answer an annoying captcha.
What is a better way than captcha (re or ads) of dealing whith this problem?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
If you actually have this problem (most people dont) instead of crippling all incoming traffic simply warn, then remove the site who is cheating.

Morus

www.votezone.eu , www.privateserversranking.com
I don't have a problem with cheating because of adscaptcha. I find recaptcha more annoying. Usefull thing would be internal system showing last (let say) 50 votes and their host or IP or even proxy server.. Of course you can use extremetracking to monitor it but you have to place it on main website.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
yup showing the last IP's of those who voted is no problem, but if they are cheating its going to mean they are going to the trouble of changing their IP so that may not be very helpful. But between the IP and timestamp that may help show who is cheating. Gateway page prevents automated votes already so really your only concern is to block people using proxy, something a captcha will not help with anyway.

cronoszeu

The anti bot protection for gateway is a must .. why ? I can vote on any vote list without an anti bot protection. I can make my script to click on any java/div/a/span and so on link...
My script ( can add random referrer, ip,UA,time and what to click on page) What it cant do is resolve some simple anti bot. A small anti bot for ex type something here will stop majority of bots.
So yes the gateway need an anti bot protection.

Regards

Basti

Administrator
Staff member
If you have such script, you could send it to us so we could try and work on some counter measures without bothering a visitor to type something for a simply vote :)

None the less, i have a captcha plugin i can share in the meantime, it just involves updateing your gateway html also, as we need a form data now instead a simple link

soccerki

If you have such script, you could send it to us so we could try and work on some counter measures without bothering a visitor to type something for a simply vote :)

None the less, i have a captcha plugin i can share in the meantime, it just involves updateing your gateway html also, as we need a form data now instead a simple link
Bro can you even bother too look @ my PM?

cronoszeu

Hi,

You can give me a website and I will make votes as many as you want but I wont send it.
IF the only protection is to press a button link img div spam or what so ever there will be no problem.

I sent you a pm if you can give me a captcha plugin.

Regards

vnevermore

I wanted this also, so i come up with a simple and nice idea.
I use the recaptcha and using the build in "data-callback" when the captcha is completed, i change using a simple java-script the css visibility of the buttons from hidden to visible.
So this way if user's don't complete the captcha they cant vote since the buttons appears after the confirmation.
Its really isea to make and maybe it can help you

edit: sorry just saw the topic date, however it can help others with same problems :D

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
What happens if JavaScript is disabled? Sadly this too is easy to workaround and cheat :(

vnevermore

What happens if JavaScript is disabled? Sadly this too is easy to workaround and cheat :(
We are on 2016, wouldn't sound strange to not allow user's enter with disabled cookies or javascript.
Most forum platforms and other known script's are doing it.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
if you want to block all non JavaScript traffic, that is up to you, but I will not force that on all users. My point was simply that CSS and JavaScript are both controlled client side, so your cheat protection as it is (without blocking those without JavaScript) is very easy to bypass in its current state.

vnevermore

if you want to block all non JavaScript traffic, that is up to you, but I will not force that on all users. My point was simply that CSS and JavaScript are both controlled client side, so your cheat protection as it is (without blocking those without JavaScript) is very easy to bypass in its current state.
Yes and thanks for pointing this, cause i didn't know it.