Ambiguity of "topsite"

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Up until a couple of years ago the word "topsite" meant only one thing to me. A website that ranks other websites, usually by way of traffic stats, or incoming clicks (votes). However as a few of the members of OSempire explored the "topsite" page on wikipedia it soon became clear that there is some serious confusion on this topic. Obviously just because Wikipedia says something, doesnt make it so... However the problem was proven more serious a few months ago when a client of mine switched to Googles DFP and the only site Google refused to serve ads to was his topsite (fishing / outdoors topsite), saying "we do not allow topsites to participate". This negative view of topsites extends to free image hosts, and some web hosting services.

So my question to the community is with VisioList do we try and avoid using the word "topsite" to ensure the bad vibes (as silly as they may be) associated with topsites dont contaminate our new world? if so, what is the alternative? Toplist? URL ranking system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topsite_(warez)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topsite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toplist

Karl

I have seen the script used more as a directory in some instances that provide a monitoring and ranking system with the owners promoting the site as a directory rather than a topsite. Some webmasters consider topsites to be nothing more than link farms and this is due to the large number of general topsites that do not have categories to separate unrelated content or if they do they do this is not maintained correctly. There are also the niche sites that are not maintained that and allow none related sites on without checking them first. I do not think we need to move away from the use of the term topsite completely I believe that we should look at ways of improving and providing well maintained quality sites that will change any negative perceptions of topsites that may be out there.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
I do not think we need to move away from the use of the term topsite completely I believe that we should look at ways of improving and providing well maintained quality sites that will change any negative perceptions of topsites that may be out there.
While I agree with this sentiment, I find it very hard to imagine we will be able to change Googles mind on this definition enough so they change their filters from blocking any site matching the keyword "topsite".

chrizti

Well, that is why I am seeking another solution. The "topsites" that I am used to is just like a link farm. That is why it's important to limit the number of links on each page and only to show links that are still active. Plus, they aren't really topsites anyway. There is no review and the ranking is based on hits period. Maybe the most active sites or the ones that bother to put the return link....lol

It's basically an active sites list and ranks sites based on activity. At least something similar would be better than "topsite".

A big topsite group just sold about six months ago. I wonder if the new owner knows that Google won't allow ads anymore on topsites...yikes. I don't plan on using Adsense anyway as they have way too many rules. I have no interest in trying to keep up with them all. Plus, it's always the same ads over and over as so many sites use them.